Welcome to West Sound for Social Justice (WSSJ)
First, just a bit on what’s here and how to get around the site. There are four menu tabs at the top of the page. The first two provide information about the group and how to contact us. The Blog tab will take you to items that provide a chronological list of information about events or activities you may be interested in. (You can also click on any of the listed Recent Posts below to go to their page).
The Site Menu on the right side of the page provides information on issues, ways to contact elected officials, a calendar of events and more. Click on any of these menu items for more details on these topics. (If you’re viewing the site on a tablet or phone, the menus may be in a different location).
- The Information page contains links to articles, magazines, websites and other sources.
- The Resources page contains links to sites that provide information on organizing, activism, event planning and more. In addition, the page has tips, scripts, templates, mailing labels and other aids you can review and/or download.
- The Members Speak page is a forum for you to post ideas, resources, issues and information you’d like to share with everyone.
- The WSSJ Committees page lists our committees that are gathering and sharing information on a range of issues.
We hope that this site will be a place where we can share information, resources and contacts with each other and with other progressive individuals and/or groups. We encourage all of you to be a contributor to the site in any way you can.
West Sound for Social Justice presents
Collectively, we raised $252.00 and approximately 300 lbs. of food for distribution between Bremerton Foodline, Bremerton Backpack Brigade, and StandUp For Kids.
Here is the video of the event, filmed, edited and produced by Bremerton-Kitsap Access Television (BKAT TV)
In addition, BKAT has also produced the outstanding video below – Homelessness in Kitsap – Myths and Realities
- Housing Affordability and Its Effect on Increasing Homelessness – Kurt Wiest – Bremerton Housing Authority
- Housing Solutions Center of Kitsap County – Kitsap Community Resources – Scope of the Problem
- Affordable Housing Advocacy – What is Our Power and How Do We Use It?
- Kitsap County Homeless Housing Plan 2018 Update
- Kitsap Homelessness – It’s About Us
- Homeless Housing Plan Audience Feedback
- Free Meals in Kitsap County
We were pleased to have special musical guest, Rick Cortes at the event as well. Rick is an acoustic guitarist / singer / songwriter who arrived in Bremerton over a decade ago intent on starting a new life, but soon found himself homeless. His experiences moved him toward music with a conscience, and together with his “forever sweetheart” and co-writer Lana Taylor, he penned songs addressing societal injustices, including “Broken Man,” a song submitted for Richard LeMieux’s Breakfast at Sally’s film project. Retired from the Bremerton School District, Rick currently serves as a staff member at Benedict House.
Listen to some of Rick’s music below:
Kitsap Homelessness – It’s About Us – Event Page
To find out more about the current status of homelessness and affordable housing in Kitsap County, check out some of the documents and links below.
These documents also include a summary of related legislation passed in Washington state this last session, a Fact Sheet on Homelessness and Mental Health and Substance Use Disorders, an update on the Kitsap County Homeless Housing Plan, and a White Paper and PowerPoint presentation on Tiny Houses as one approach to addressing homelessness.